HONORS PROBLEM SOLVING
Rubber Band Cannon
Rubber Band Cannon Champions
Honors Physics 2002-2003
STARBURST RUBBER BAND CANNON
To build a device to shoot a Starburst candy through the air.
- The only source of energy for the Cannon will be the elastic energy of four provided
large rubber bands. (Although you may convert this stored energy into some other forms in
the course of your process.)
- You may use equipment and supplies available to you at home, but your group may spend no
more than a maximum of $5.00 purchasing additional equipment or supplies. (Please keep
receipts to verify your costs.)
- The device may not be attached to the floor in any way, and it must be entirely behind
the launch line.
- The Starburst may start no more than 40 cm above the floor.
- No wheels or other rolling devices may be used to propel the Starburst across the floor.
- The Starburst candy may not be altered in any way.
- You must submit any "unusual" ideas to the instructor to determine if they
qualify according to the spirit of the rules.
Each group will be allowed three trials and the score will be based on the best result
for the three trials.